Monday, April 12, 2010

gmas fried rice

this batch of fried rice tasted exactly like my grandmas friend rice. i'm not exactly sure how that happened but i sure am happy that it did!! if you know my grandma then you would know that she was not the cook in her house. my grandpa spoiled her and did most of the cooking so she didn't have to. however there are at least 5 things i can think of that she cooked very well and her fried rice was one of them. my grandma always threw in whatever left over meat they had or spam but for this i used leftover ham from easter, a splash of extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 of a yellow onion, 5 eggs, steamed rice and soy sauce. it's easy to sometimes get carried away with all that can be added to fried rice and that's ok, just remember that sometimes grandma knows best. this song came to mind while writing this. my grandmas used to sing it to us and by us i mean she mostly sang it to my little brother. i love you, a bushel and a peck, a bushel and a peck, and a hug around the neck!

2 comments:

  1. AAAAHHHHH... she always said that was our song, and by our song I mean hers and mine. If she only knew I joined her as a pescaterian...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you will always be her favorite!! i still remember her telling me that and how she knew she shouldn't have a favorite but that she couldn't help but like you the best. still think you are crazy for not eating real meat =)

    ReplyDelete