Saturday, January 23, 2010

cooking with Naomi

waking up early on a saturday is not typically how i roll but this morning was one of those saturdays that it needed to happen. today we were attending a cooking lesson/class and needed to be in sf by 9am. we hopped on bart and headed to sf for the farmers market at the ferry building. we were meeting our cooking instructor Naomi who took us on a tour of the market to purchase ingredients for our lesson. she was such a gem and she taught me several things that i didn’t know prior to this meeting. for starters she introduced me to the world of beets, NOT pickled beets but a real beet. who knew i’d become a fan, certainly not me! after shopping for ingredients and of course dessert we headed to berkely to cook up our lunch menu. we started by making kale broth for our potato & kale soup. at this point i must add that in between every step we took a bread break, Naomi had purchased this amazing green onion bread loaf that we ate with goat cheese to appease our appetite while we cooked. then washed and scrubbed the beets before baking and set aside the greens we cut off to be used in the salad topped with pine nuts goat cheese and blood oranges. bread break, then i cut up my very first blood orange into segments… lol it took me forever and i’m so confused as to why people eat those things when so much work that goes into preparing them. yep another bread break before cutting into the fennel. has anyone ever eaten or cut into fennel? it smells like black licorice and kind of tastes like it too, we cut it into long strips and made another salad and tossed it with olive oil, lemon juice, salt & pepper. oh i don't remember when but sometime between eating bread and the other dishes we made swiss chard, which i'd never heard of before. the meal came together rather nice and each dish was a new experience for me. thanks to Naomi for taking time to teach us a few new recipes. after cooking we came back to my place and relaxed until our appetite got the best of us and we headed down the hill for crepes and japanese food.

1 comment:

  1. Andy: I thought I'd come in casual today. Man, I'm hungry. Anyone else feel like a beet?
    Dwight: Where did you get those?
    Andy: What, these? Bernard Farms. Best beets in the state.
    Dwight: I see what you are doing. But I do not know where you are going with this.
    Andy: Well you will. Soon as you visit ... my new beet farm.

    ReplyDelete